Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Moving's Inevitable Result

On Day 5 of living in a new town I realized that I was actually away from all my friends back home. I live among rich(er) folk, in the country, and far, far from where I used to be. Today I had my first regret about moving. I thought to myself, "I miss Anderson".

In Anderson, there was a routine to life. I got up at a certain time each day, walked my dog, went to class, came home, did homework, went to work, came home, walked my dog, and read or wrote for a couple hours before bed. Here, there is no such routine. It's all off-the-wall sort of stuff. Today it's going out randomly, tomorrow it's pop-up events, yesterday it was the same. I miss knowing what was coming in the next few hours. I miss the street lights in my window, the cars driving by, the bell tower going off every hour, the sirens screeching in the distance, the trains rumbling across town. Sometimes I still hear those trains. I wish it was real. I miss my old haunt.

1 comment: