Monday, December 17, 2012

Writer's Angst: The Sad Parts

One part of writing that I immensely dislike is how much a writer has to involve herself with her work. To effectively write a beautiful and realistic work, a writer has to make her characters relatable to the reader. She can only do this by identifying with the characters, at least in some small way.

So when I get to a sad part in a book, it affects my entire day. I drag myself down from an emotional high and focus my thoughts only on the sadness before me. I force my novel's world to become my world for a day.

It's a dangerous game. Merging fiction with reality is never a smart thing but I feel the only way to write a realistic story is by dragging it into reality.

So right now I'm stuck wishing this chapter was over already. I'm trying to rush through it just so I can entertain joyful thoughts again.

All the while, I'm remembering the idea that a writer is a god and because of that we have to suffer right along with our characters when they falter. It's a fact of reality and fiction and it's one I tend to despise.

No comments:

Post a Comment