Thursday, May 26, 2011

Living the Dream

I spent this past weekend at home with family and, despite occasional storms and a probable tornado, I think we spent more time outside than inside the entire weekend. Saturday we were up at dawn for the farmer's market and the grocery then came home to play in the yard and pool until the sun set. Sunday we were up for church and stayed outside again until sunset. Sunday, while sitting on a fence and overlooking the property lit up with golden sunlight and waving in cool, fierce winds, I reminded my sister of how earlier in the week she had mentioned how much she loved her new home. It was during that sunset on the fence, with the kids playing and laughing in the trampoline, the three dogs wrestling in the yard, and my wonderful sister beside me, that everything clicked for me.

I realized how true her words were about loving her home. It was like living the dream. I was so content that weekend that it just filled me with warm fuzzies. I was welcomed into a home that will eventually become my actual temporary home in a month, treated as family, and spent time just playing, hanging out, and admiring what we had. It wasn't just a house anymore. Ever since we moved I haven't really had a 'home'. I've mentioned it before on this blog how I often lack a true 'home'. Well, on Sunday I found my home. It was with my family, with a sister who does everything she can to help me, a brother-in-law who humors me, and nephews and nieces who still think I am awesome despite the occasional embarrassing moment. I was finally home.

Even today when the sun is missing and homework and finances loom overhead I couldn't shake those fuzzies. Summer has me caught in its embrace and I'm simply in love with life. I have a job, classes that I enjoy, time to read, write, and watch movies, a family who loves me, friends who are hilarious, and a dog who thinks I couldn't be any cooler if I tried. I've been dreaming of this time for months, years even. When it dawned on me that it was here, I felt so much stronger religiously, emotionally, and mentally that I actually cried. All those prayers were answered. The time I so desperately begged for has come. Now it's here and I'm soaking in the wonder and beauty of what God has blessed me with.

1 comment: