Sunday, June 3, 2012

And So the Plot Thickens

Today means Book 4 gets its first dream sequence. We haven't had a dream sequence since Book 2 so it will be nice to revisit them. Writing an effective dream sequence in a fantasy/adventure book takes a lot of work but I was able to perfect my style with it during Book 2.

The best part about dream sequences is that you can use them to almost any end. From describing an innate weakness your character has to a fear he can't help but ignore, they are one of the most versatile tools a writer can use. Book 2's sequence mainly served to reveal to Roan where the climax would take place. Book 4's sequence is pretty close to 2's but this one actually shows Roan the end of the book before he even fully encounters the main plot. Plus, I've been looking forward to writing this plot for years now. It's been simmering in my head, waiting for the ideal moment to use a scene that lasts only a few seconds. Needless to say, I'm very excited.

Random Tangent: Book 4 is proving somewhat difficult to write. While the plans I had in store are certainly being used, my characters are proving to be a little stubborn. They refuse to do as I ask and are instead acting abnormally. I'm sure their behavior will made sense in the end and I know the beginning of a book is always iffy for characters (and writers) as they find their footing in a new world but until then I'm stuck trying to make sense of things.

Here's to hoping it looks a little better in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment