Thursday, November 8, 2012

Next Writing Project

I decided to try my hand at realistic fiction. This is the first time I've written for this genre. All my past books have been fantasy/adventure so you can imagine how intimidating it is to write something that has to be so grounded and realistic. Here's a brief rundown of the story.

What is the title of the story?
Lazarus Story

What is the synopsis of the story?
Ethan receives a call saying his estranged father has passed away, leaving him with his troubled animal shelter and the staff that runs it. While settling in to his position as shelter manager Ethan is entrusted with a dozen dogs rescued from a dog-fighting ring. He is faced with the task of rehabilitating the dogs before animal advocates claim them, keeping the shelter from drowning, earning the trust of his newly inherited staff, and caring for himself as he fights the demons from his parents' divorce and the troublesome past he spent in the foster system.

Where did the inspiration for this story come from?
It actually came from the life I've led while living on a farm for the last year. I've watched as some animals thrive, others withdraw, and the rest learn to live with the humans they are placed with. I wanted to write a story about how animals and people are both so similar in that they can scar so easily but take so much work to recover. I wanted to use pitbulls as a major plot because they have a terribly mistaken history.

What pushed you to write this story?
I had the idea floating around for a while but shelved it. In the last few weeks, it's really spoken to me and I thought now would be the best time to just go ahead and write it.

Why should people read this book as compared to others?
This book is so realistic that it could just about happen to anyone. Ethan's work with the shelter isn't unrealistic like most animal books. There are successes and failures but it's through these events that humans and animals both develop. If someone likes animals then they will like this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment