Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Writing Update

With it being the day before the holiday and chores begging to be done and responsibilities calling, I'm a tad short on time. So here's a quick update on the novel-in-progress.

A week and a half-ish after starting, I have a tad over 23k words written. It's November 21 and that leaves 27k to be written before the end of the month. We'll see if that happens! Even if I don't win Nano, I still love the book. It's so different to be writing this genre. The plot unwraps in such a strange way that it's still a little bewildering. The only solution I can think of? Just roll with it! Besides, this is my first realistic fiction so mistakes are allowed.

Here's a tidbit from the story. This features Matt, the secondary character and friend to MC Ethan. Matt suffers from PTSD after serving in Afghanistan and having his motorcade ambushed. He's also a little intense. I would say he's most similar to Jace from the Bell Tower series but he is by far the first character of his kind I've written.



            When Matt saw nothing of interest in the fridge, he closed it and spun around as he picked up the scent of coffee. “That’s what I need.”
            One second he was by the fridge and the next he was grabbing a mug from above the coffeemaker and pouring a cup. It only then dawned on Ethan that Matt was probably a little too slim for his height and build. There should have been a few extra pounds on him. But he had no time to worry about food while he grabbed the sugar from the pantry and shoveled three scoops in his coffee.
            Ethan stared at him. “Really? Three scoops of sugar?”
            Matt grinned “I need to wake up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment