Saturday, June 26, 2010

5 Off

I've been taking time off from writing lately because I sort of lost my inspiration to create a wonderful piece of work. I just wasn't able to get my usual emotion and spirit into my novels and, after years of writing, I knew it was best to take some time off and step away from the stories. Taking time off pretty much consists of reading through old stories, editing chapters, and reliving the excitement and contentment that writing once offered me.

I was reading through book 5 when I came across a part that was so emotional difficult that I actually teared up. Perhaps it was because I had been writing for ten years of the same characters and had to reread the part where one of my favorites passed away. Perhaps, it was just because somehow the chapter was just really well done and tapped into the inner emotions of people. Whatever the reason, I love that part in the book and it rekindled my desire to write and write again.

Unfortunately, work has been incredibly busy and life has been a fun roller-coaster so this week I didn't have time to write. When I finally sat down tonight with a few extra minutes, I was far too tired to write a chapter that demanded excitement and thrills. On the bright side, I was reading through my first book and found a calming, beautiful part that really struck my soul and broke through the recent struggles of life.

“The forest is full of so much life that we barely know what to do with it. We have only learned so much. There’s more than I can ever find out there. It’s a world apart from ours. Each night I sit at a campfire and live with the wilderness around me I feel like I’m reminded of how small I am. It’s like I’m reminded of what there is out there and what I can’t control or see. It’s scary and, yet, it’s calming.”

I'm not sure why this part affects me so much but I think it appeals to the fear I have of the unknown and, yet, the beauty it also offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment