Thursday, February 16, 2012

Character Bio- General Hastings

In my head his name is the General. He's been in the works for some time now. In the original books, he played a much bigger part and was actually two separate characters. One character was sly and vindictive while the other was calculating and laid-back. They played the main antagonists to Arobin when he was stuck in the prison camp Kalique.

However, in Book 3 he's been reshaped and reborn as the General. The name is only used when Arobin refers to him because of their brief past working under the same person, the great and evil BBG. I combined the two characters, reshaped his personality, and reduced his role. I wanted the main antagonist to Arobin to be more of the struggles he faces as he attempts to choose to follow either Roan or BBG, his previous master. I also wanted Arobin and, in turn, the reader to focus more on the camp itself and the death it causes the prisoners rather than on the man running the camp. That's why he isn't referred to by his name. I wanted his part to remain vague.

In all actuality, the General really isn't that much of an antagonists. He's a broken man and not the type that turns into a killer. He's a very sad character for a writer to write because I know what he once was, what he will be one day and, unfortunately, what he is now. He's meant to be an example of what war can do to men, even those who are strong and powerful. This role is also a nice mirror of the antagonist Roan gains at the end of this novel, following my plan of Arobin and Roan playing foils to each other.

Tonight is the General's debut and I'm excited to finally introduce him to my characters and see where his first encounter with Arobin in the death camp leads the plot. So now I return to those wonderful pages to see what's awaiting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment