Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writing Blurb- Various POVs

Arobin got his first chapter in Book 3. It had a few rough spots that got patched up. There's still a bit I have to work on but, all in all, it turned out quite good. I think I'm successfully hitting upon the personality traits that separate Roan from Arobin. When I went to write Arobin's chapter it was like a breath of fresh air to me. I rarely stick Roan in situations where he's unhappy and unable to change that but, alas, he isn't static and he has to change. So after writing a long chapter with him being unhappy, it was a great relief to write about Arobin. The man is definitely fierce in comparison to Roan right now.

In addition to Arobin getting his first chapter I also got to introduce my beloved group of mages. While in the original books these guys were straight up a group of invincible, untouchable BAMFs I decided to take a different approach to them. I've been writing their legends into the first three books so introducing them at their weakest in a prison camp is providing some fun dialogue and character interaction.

Here's a tidbit from Arobin's first chapter on his own (he has since had one more chapter, one I'm currently working on)...

Gog looked over at Kaye and Jorin. The two other mages hesitated but both nodded. Gog’s eyes lingered on Zeus for a moment longer. Then he stuck his hand out for Arobin to shake. “I’ll protect you for three days and give you all the info you need.”

“And I can swear by the end of this week you’ll be a free man again, magic and all.”


Now, I haven't entirely forgotten Roan. He's had a chapter between Arobin's. Unfortunately, his is proving difficult to write. I originally wanted the antagonists who captured him to have a bigger part in his personality change as soon as they met him. However, Roan has since explained to me he wants nothing to do with them. So the amount of dialoge in his chapters has shrunk and I'm stuck relying on tons of description to get across his struggles.

He did, however, get his own moment away from his captors for a time. It was a chance for Roan to just be Roan, to reclaim the adventurous spirit he had back home with his old friends. It was wonderful to get to write from his perspective again without worrying about other characters. When I finally mixed him back up with his fellow characters there was a good deal more chemistry. I'm starting to like my newest character Morgan as he reveals more of his personality to Roan and the reader. Here's a brief tidbit about them...

“You know,” Roan said, “You’re crazy.”

Morgan chuckled at that. He nodded. “I may be. There aren’t many people out there who would hunt down a Seal just to give it up so they could wait a few more years.”

“Until then, you’re on my side just to get back into Catirus.” Roan grinned. “That’s selfish.”

No comments:

Post a Comment