Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Trends

Last year during October's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, people all over Facebook started posting things like "Blue", "Green", and "Polka Dots with Bears and Beavers". For a while, people were like wtf...Even I was stumped until I googled the damn thing. That's when I realized that they were promoting breast cancer awareness through their statuses and revealing what color bra they were wearing. At the time, I thought "Awe, that's cute and, yet, lame" and moved on.

Today, it began again. Like that damn time of the month every woman dreads. Or like the test that's coming or presentation that you've been avoiding for weeks until the day before it's due. With great unease, I saw it and realized before I even googled it what it meant.

Women are now posting "I like it on the desk", "I like it on the floor", and "I like it near the window". No, this isn't about sex, kinky operations, or hinky hijinks. It's about where they like their purse.

Because where you place your purse raises awareness of breast cancer and promotes actively searching for a cure.

Where the hell do purses even connect with breast cancer?

This year, I find it, to put it in the simplest terms, lame. Where you put your purse does nothing for breast cancer. If anything, you're wasting time and trying to look stupid. You're a hipster and that's the saddest thing you could ever be besides a Twilight fan.

Some people actually make donations to breast cancer research. That dollar or pocket change may not look like much but it helps. At least, it helps more than where you place your purse.

So, for once, let's try to not be hipsters and put our actions -and money- where our mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment