Saturday, October 2, 2010

Preparing for Book 3

In preparation for Book 3, I had to go back over the past two books and reread and edit them. There were a few things that needed to be cleared up and I wanted to be extra prepared for whenever I started Book 3. One of the bigger preparations that goes into starting the next book was trying to make the time line seem logical and reasonable. I began mapping out Book 2's journey and finished that up pretty fast. It was when I pulled out my map from 10 years ago for Book 1 that I realized I was in trouble.

Just as an idea of how bad it was, I'll tell you that I had drawn pretty much all my rivers flowing north.

Rivers flowing north.

Unless every river in my books magically turned into the Nile or defeated gravity, I'm pretty sure I got screwed over by 11-year-old me. I had to practically redo Book 1's map because it honestly made no sense. By the time I redid the map and got it on paper, I once again realized I had been screwed over by 20-year-old and 21-year-old me. According to the newly redone map, my time line for Book 1 was off. Dreadfully off. By maybe two weeks.

So, instilled with this dramatic realization that I'm a terrible writer, I went back over Book 1 and rewrote most of it so I could fix the time line. It's a rather sad attempt at fixing something and I have a feeling I'll be rewriting the entire book in a few years once I attempt to get published.

I'm now reviewing Book 2 again but I think I've gone over it too many times. I think I've read it so often that I can't read it much more. This can only mean that Book 3 is nearing. I'm not ready for it yet. I think I've got the second half figured out but I'm still struggling on creating a start and the first half. Hopefully, I'll find some ideas soon though because I'm very excited about it and I really want to jump into something fun and challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment